About The Anchor
The Anchor Inn sits in the heart of Fladbury, a traditonal rural village in the heart of Worcestershire.
Archaeological investigations have located evidence of a settlement on the site going back to the Beaker period – between 2450BC and 1800BC, the beginnings of the Bronze age. These remains were discovered in the 1930’s during investigations in to the Saxon occupation.
Fladbury was given to the Bishop of Worcester in 631AD by King Ethelred, being governed by the Bishop’s Bailiff. The monks resident there from that time eventually moved on to found the great Abbey Of Evesham but nothing remains of the early Saxon building. The present church dates from the 12th Century and features a number of memorials including stained glass windows featuring the Coats of Arms of seven Knights who fell with Simon de Montfort at the Battle of Evesham in 1265.
Fladbury is an area of great natural beauty that has remained largely unspoiled, one can easily imagine the scene captured in ‘Two Girls with Parasols at Fladbury’ (1889) by the noted American artist John Singer Sargent (1856 – 1925).
The Anchor Inn...
The current landlord, Simon Stephenson, who has run the pub since 2005, has set out to make The Anchor Inn an important part of the community – as a pub should be. Whether it be fundraising for local charities or Bikers Nights drawing visitors from a wide area, The Anchor is at the heart of the village. Visits from Food Trucks provide a regular treat with the opportunity to try a range of foods from the comforting Fish and Chips through to Sri Lankan Street Food, spectacular Burgers and Pizzas. Live music, Chess club, Quiz nights are part of the varied calendar of Events – even pop up shops feature. With the addition of accommodation there is ample opportunity for visitors to enjoy the area with easy access to Cheltenham, Malvern and areas of outstanding natural beauty such as the Cotswolds and the Forest of Dean.
A local pub at the heart of the community
The Anchor Inn is a Grade 11 Listed Building dating from the seventeenth century though much of the building from this period is concealed some timber framing can still be seen. You can stay in the beautiful gabled building while visiting the area with a choice of accommodation, the rooms clearly showing the original timbers. Previous landlords have often combined running the pub with another occupation such as John Slater who also ran a market garden in the late 1870’s. The Anchor has also served as a hub for many community activities – even hosting local inquests.